Wednesday, June 15, 2011

17:00 Hours - A pop into Bobo


After the Standard Hotel we took a stroll into the West Village to digest.  Stopping into Magnolia was not an option.  Even though we may have overdone it earlier at the Standard Grill, we still declined due to the line wrapping around the corner.  This has been going on consistently for how long now?  Amazing.  I mean their cupcakes are good, but are they that good?  Discuss…
The weather was spotty and a quick-onset rain storm found us seeking shelter in Christopher Square’s Bobo.   Maybe we were attracted to the pretty multi-tiered brownstone nestled among a bunch of rather normal looking storefronts? Maybe it was the name - Bobo - Matt's old-school nickname? Or maybe it was a tip from Nicole, as this has become one of her favorite NYC destinations.   Either way, we loved it.  Still completely stuffed, we weren’t able to eat; however, we had to partake somehow.  Not doing so would be downright rude, not to mention completely uncharacteristic :).   So, we ordered some drinks.   No arm twisting involved.   We made ourselves comfortable in the dimly lit "Den".  The bar staff was more than accommodating and were quick and spot on with creating the “lemonade with a splash of vodka” that I ordered.   They got right to the point:  “Do you seriously want a ‘lemonade with a splash of vodka?’…or…” Ok they got me there.  They served me the opposite  and I was quite happy with the result.  I was also happy with their eagerness to please and make us feel comfortable. 

After a quick Internet search, it seems like the reviews of the food at Bobo are mixed.  But one thing seems consistent, the upstairs dining room is beautiful and the ambiance charming.   I may have ventured upstairs for a looksee, but I was just too comfortable.   If you’ve eaten at Bobo and have thoughts, let us know!  We’ll certainly head back and make a more complete review of our own. 

2 comments:

  1. You know I love Bobo! I have been making my way through the cocktail menu like it is my new job and my favorite so far is the Norwegian Wood. Just a quick note about the food (since you asked). I have had a yummy salad and also the veggie burger but both times were jealous of my dining partner who ordered the (beef)burger with leeks and melted gruyere. So next time I am gong to order that but replace the burger with a veggie burger. The fries are delish; best I have had in a while. The service has been great every time and I love the cowshed products in the bathrooms...reminds me of Shoreditch House/Soho House in London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nicole!! I'll take one of those leek and gruyere burgers right now. Is 10 AM too early for lunch?

    ReplyDelete