Friday, August 26, 2011

All aboard!

Nantucket is my favorite place in the world. Hands down. Forget Maui. Forget Dublin. Even Paris doesn’t beat Nantucket.

Ok - I can hear the gasps from here.

Disclaimer: I love all of those places as well (probably in that order behind good ole’ ACK), but nothing gives you that satisfying home-away-from-home feeling than docking at Straight Wharf as memories of adolescence come flooding in. Nothing beats letting air out of the tires, and driving on every possible sandy road with the windows down and the radio up, as you pass one gorgeous grey-shingled house after another, on the hunt for the next hidden beach. And for me, there isn’t a 5 star hotel in the world that beats renting a house with your best friends, stocking the fridge with cold ones and waking up every morning to the salty, damp Nantucket air. Ahhhh – heaven!

So we took to the Steamship Authority (the train of the sea – ehh a stretch, I know!) jeep and all, and enjoyed every minute of our week of summer freedom.








I think we were all in agreement that the highlight of our week was our sunset dinner at The Galley.  



When you go (no discussion – you’re going!) here is your checklist:
-Make a reservation early enough so that you can get settled and enjoy every moment of the amazing sunset
-Request a table with sand under your toes
-Don’t forget your camera, iphone, sketch pad, what-have-you
-Kick off your shoes and start with a Figawi-Wowi



The food is delicious! Here are few highlights. The Halibut was the envy of the table!








I had the chef create something vegetarian off the menu for me and it was maybe the best thing I’ve ever eaten – right down to the raspberry coulis!



After an extensive photo session of every possibly combination of friends, we were so getting dessert. Perfect finale!




1 comment:

  1. Those scallops look amazing. I am really sorry to have missed this one I think...but had a great weekend with you guys. By the way, I deserve some photo credits on this one (I took the ferry pic; I think the balloons make it kind of artsy-don't you). Anyways, keep the posts coming guys!

    ReplyDelete